4.25.2008

maybe i can sleeeeeeep

Today is Friday! And it's been super-quiet so far, almost no phone calls. Fantastic.

We're all really tired at work. And apparenty I'm a slacker because I don't stay up til 2 or 3 or 4am to get my work done? Maybe not. Part of the reason I'm not completley overworked right now is because I haven't been here long enough to have enormous projects pile up. I've got plenty to do...but I still get some sleep.

Where is the line between work ethic - getting it done, whatever it takes, doing it well and right and on time - and not having a healthy work/life balance?

To me, staying up all hours doesn't seem like a good balance. But then again, I'm a part of Generation Me (I think) and we don't really have a very good perception of what it means to be dedicated, loyal, hard-working, etc.

Extenuating circumstances, big projects, someone's sick and we've got to pull together .... I dig the overtime in that. But when I get paid, am I getting paid so that work is my priority? Should work trump everything?

In my mind, no, it shouldn't. To me, it's God, family, my health, then work. I don't think it's ok to ditch my husband so that I can finish a report or a project or a spreadsheet as soon as possible. I don't want to work much more than the standard 40 hours a week. I would get so pissed if Brian had to stop spending as much time with me because of work, on a regular basis.

Like I said, right now I'm ok because a lot of what I do at home is small scale stuff - searching through the shared drive, reading all kinds of things, doing some brainstorming. Nothing I can't work into a normal after-work life without getting behind.

I like my job, a lot. I love the people I work with. But I love my husband, and myself, more, and I fully intend on not ever letting work compromise my health or my relationships. Is that bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics