9.06.2008

National Read a Book Day

Did you know that it's National Read A Book Day?  I celebrated by checking out 6 books from the library, all of which are for a class I'm auditing at Union-PSCE this semester.  Awesome.

Since this weekend has been designated a 'mandatory low key' weekend, I'm contemplating doing the little bit of housework that needs doing, and then spending the entire rest of today reading Good News from North Haven by Michael Lindvall.  It's one of the library/class books I've checked out, and it's the first on the syllabus, and it's little.

You may note on my current projects list that I am reading THREE books at the moment.  And if you've read my blog for very long, you've probably caught on that I'm more or less a monogamous reader.  I don't like having more than one book going at a time - unless I'm working on a novel AND a scholarly book that takes a while to digest and can be read 2 or 3 or 4 pages at a time.  As is the case right now.

I've been nibbling away at Metaphors We Live By.  This is one of those books I picked up in college after taking this awesome class on etymology, and have thought about reading ever since.  We spent at least one class meeting specifically discussing metaphor in the English language, and referenced it many other times.  It's a topic that has stuck with me.  And, after a slew of novels, I decided it was time to get back to some smart reading!

Problem is, it's a little too smart for my current brainage.  I can only take it a little bit by bit - 3 or 4 pages at a time is the most I can handle in a given session.  And who wants to read a book, 3 or 4 pages at a time?  So I doubled up and threw in a novel.  My reading routine for the past week consisted of as much Metaphors as I could handle, and then I'd take up The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter until it was time to do something else, like sleep or get out of the car.  Problem is, I am nowhere near done with the novel and it's time to start reading novels for school.

Hence the plan to bust out the first school novel today and pick up the pace with Feast so that I can devote the novel slot to all the books to be read this semester.  But more about the class later.

How many books do YOU read at a time?  (Audiobooks count as books in this case.)  Or, if you don't read books now and stick to articles and blogs (or nothing!), why don't you do the book thing anymore?

I'll report back tomorrow on the status of the personal book challenge.

note: ETA links

1 comment:

  1. I usually have about half a dozen books going. I finish an average of two-three books a week. I've never understood the audiobook thing. I think that's because I'm a visual person and can't follow a story being read out loud.

    Hope you're doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics