9.08.2008

more the glories of vodka

Now, when you're on as strict a budget as I am, there is one reason and one reason only for the use or consumption of vodka, and that is: triple on the rocks.  Works wonders for ay number of life's little (or big) problems, as far as I'm concerned.  

And just so you know, the last time I remember consuming vodka was months ago.  There always seems to be more important to buy, like soap and electricity and rice.  I swear I'm not a junkie.

If, and when, that glorious day comes, when I will live in such fiscal comfort as to be able to consider expending the juice on things other than personal consumption (as if!!) I will refer to this handy list, which I am about to present to you.  Because as it turns out, vodka is more wonderous than I could ever have imagined.

See here:

Ease a Toothache (no, seriously) - if you're stuck without a dentist in quick reach, swish a shot of vodka around the area that's hurting, it will help disinfect AND numb the gums.  And then you can get yourself to the dentist asap.  (Or have someone drive you, because I mean, really.)

In keeping with the minor medical theme, make a tincture - get a jar, stuff it full of fresh lavender, and top it off with vodka.  Leave it in the sun for three days, strain it, and then use at will to rub into aches and pains.  The scent of lavender can bring all kinds of relief.  Be your own medicine man!  or woman!

Get rid of mildew - when you use up that spray bottle of your mildew-blaster of choice, give vodka a try.  Spray it on, let it sit, and then scrub it off with a(n old!) tooth brush.  I actually really wish I had some in the freezer right now to give this a try, because my old tub is starting to lose the war, if you know what I mean.

Shine your tresses - we've all heard about stuff from the fridge to get all kindsa shine - none of which I've been brave enough to try.  But 1.5 or 2 ounces of vodka per 12 ounces of shampoo will kick up your hair's game.

Beat the deet - if using store-bought bug spray gives you the ickies, try getting a spray bottle of vodka instead.  Spray it all over as a defense, or go on the offense if one won't leave you alone.

Preserve flowers - you know how you can add 7-up to fresh flowers' water?  Vodka and some sugar will do the same thing.  Don't forget to change it out every day, too - this really does make a difference.

Speaking of shiny - spruce up your glass, porcelain, and chrome with a combination of vodka on a cloth and some elbow grease.



Do you know of any other uses for vodka, beyond the bar?  If so, share them and put my ignorance to shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics