11.05.2010

absenteeism

I am an introvert. Did you know that?

At least, I think I'm an introvert. Many signs indicate as such, and I've never been an E-anything on the many Myers-Briggs tests I've taken.

I am an introvert. I'm ok with this. Most folks seem to be.

The thing is, I'm also something of an internal processor.*

What I mean is, I internalize things and spend some time, sometimes a lot of time, processing them. I can get upset, know it, and know what made me upset, but it sometimes takes days for me to know why. And deep down, I'm totally envious of people who know things about their reactions on the spot.

I mean, just today, in the middle of a day-long meeting at work, I had this flash of brilliant insight as to why something someone mentioned to me, in passing, a few days ago, REALLY irritated me. It only took me what, four days to figure it out?

Processing is a lot of work. And I'm telling you this because I am doing lots of processing right now. Things are shifting, internally and externally. Lots of things. Things with significant impact, and not just on me. Things that are riddled with challenge, ultimately beneficial, and absolutely necessary.

It's a lot to process.

Eli and Rory agree.

Enough thinking, it's time for a nap.


Are you more introverted or more extroverted? How do you think that affects your emotional response timeline?



*entirely made up term, right there**

**which kind of makes me think of 'intel pentium processor'***

***do you remember when there was just an intel pentium processor? now we're up to what, pentium IV? pentium V? if I weren't so tired right now I'd look it up.

2 comments:

  1. i'm an introvert. i'm, as you say, an internal processor and often talk myself in and out of being upset. then i react in a passive aggressive manner until i finally blow up like vesuvius. one of my goals in life is to respond appropriately in real time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not me...total extrovert...AND I process things out loud a lot. But I need time and space to really put all the puzzle pieces together, so I retreat to solitude when I am really working through things.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics