8.30.2010

book-ular housekeeping, part 1

I was updating my Goodreads bookshelves the other day and I realized that I never did my 2009 Books Read list. I emailed it to myself, at least.

So, with no further ado, here's the list of books I read in 2009. More stats and info follow, as well as the link to the 2008 list. To see the books I've read so far this year, check the right side. If you're reading this in a reader or email, you'll have to come on down. 


The Man Who Loved Books Too Much*
The Yiddish Policemen's Union
Summer at Tiffany*
To Hate Like This Is To Be Happy Forever*
Mermaid Chair
Hospitality Commands
One Big Happy Family
Tyranny of the Urgent
Nine Kinds of Naked
Freakonomics
The Peep Diaries*
Busy Woman Seeks Wife
Stolen Innocence
A Gate at the Stairs
Here if You Need Me*
The End of Overeating*
Skinny Bitch
The Inner Voice of Love
What's Submission Got to Do with It?
Such a Pretty Fat
Love and Respect
The Frugal Duchess
Bitter is the New Black
His Needs, Her Needs*
The American Porch
Richest Man in Babylon
Wife Living Dangerously
Good In Bed (a novel)
It's Easy Being Green
Rattled!
Self Help (a collection of short stories)
Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life*
Cutting
The Marriage of True Minds*
The Amateur Marriage*
Catherine, Called Birdy
Self-Made Man (some, not all)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society*
The History of Love
Happy Housewives
The Rural Life
Sidetracked Home Executives
The Way We Never Were
Water for Elephants*
Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman*
The Time Traveler's Wife
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
How the Irish Saved Civilization*

*Denotes books I liked a lot


SO. The 2008 list is here for your perusal. In 08 I read 34 books, and I was stoked by this number. I had set aside my reading habit for a while because of the head injury, and 2008 proved a nice, easy way to sort of ease back into the reading lifestyle. Most of the titles were not particularly heady or challenging (most of them still aren't, hah) BUT I was reading, and I was happy about that. 

In 09, I read 50 books. (Only 48 appear above - omitted for personal reasons.) Look at that! Progress!! There are also books that never appear on the list because they aren't the kind of book that you 'read' - cookbooks, pattern books, etc. So I cracked open quite a few more but they don't really count.

So far in 2010 I've read 43 (and a half) so I'm confident I'll have read even more. In the back of my head, I was hoping to reach 52, which would be equal to a book a week. 

For me, reading a book a week is a lot. For some, a book a week is probably not possible, for time/interest/other priority reasons. Other folks probably blow through 150 books a year, easy. Where do you fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics