12.10.2009

booking through thursday

Another edition of Booking Through Thursday!


btt button
Suggested by Tammy:
What items have you ever used as a bookmark? What is the most unusual item you’ve ever used or seen used?


My bookmarks are pretty normal I guess. When I was little, I would ONLY use a bookmark.  Or I would just remember what page number I'd last read, and open to that page.  In college, I went through a phase for a long time wherein I didn't buy any bookmarks.  I would either fold corners down or use whatever scrap of paper I could find.  You know, the usual: index cards, post-its, fliers.  Mostly, though, since I went to a crap load of sporting events in college, I used game tickets as bookmarks.  I would occasionally fold corners, but it didn't often happen that I didn't have a scrap.


I have since begun to buy bookmarks as souvenirs when I go to really special places. I only have a couple right now - one from St. Louis, when I was there for the 2005 Final Four.  I bought it down in the dungeon of the arch, and it's a spiffy magnetic kind.  I also picked up a nice leather one from the Library of Congress in Washington DC when Brian and I visited there with a couple of friends.  We had barely any money at all, and the bookmark was $2.


In keeping with the ticket theme, I now keep tickets from special games or events and use them from time to time.  


Brian, the third generation librarian, has effectively broken me of the corner-folding habit...for the most part.  I will fold corners in certain books I know I'll use for reference.  I'd rather do that than have a million little scraps poking out and whatnot, but I will now go to almost any effort to find a bookmark alternative to corner folds.


(Incidentally, Brian won't fold corners but he WILL write in the margins.  I'm not sure what the difference is.  Maybe he will enlighten us with an explanatory comment.)


How about you?  Play along here.

1 comment:

  1. The only actual damage i am willing to do to a book is to read it a lot, the natural wear and tear that happens to a book with lots of use. i don't consider writing in a book i plan to keep as damage. It doesn't hurt the spine or damage the pages or make it unreadable to others. Although, to be honest, i don't write in many books. i write in ministry books, poetry books, and more than anywhere, my Bible. Though to be sure, my bible has line margin space for my use and i love it. i would sincerely like to design a study Bible, but not sure it'll happen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics