4.13.2009

booking through thursday, vintage and monday style!

Question from the BTT Archives:


Some people read one book at a time. Some people have a number of them on the go at any given time, perhaps a reading in bed book, a breakfast table book, a bathroom book, and so on, which leads me to…

  1. Are you currently reading more than one book?
  2. If so, how many books are you currently reading?
  3. Is this normal for you?
  4. Where do you keep your current reads?

1. I AM reading more than one at a time.  I find that when this is going on, my knitting suffers.
2. I'm reading 3: Cutting, The Richest Man in Babylon, and Marriage of True Minds.  The one that I'm most actively reading is Marriage because I want to toss it onto my PBS list (and also, it's an irresistibly hilarious little novel).  Richest is shortest but it's more tedious than I expected when I first started in, and I am close to done with Cutting but I can only take it one bit at a time.  So right now, I'm reading two heavy books and one light.  It feels very out of balance for me.
3. It's not normal for me to be reading more than one book at a time.  Usually this happens when one is too serious, or too practical, or too meaty, and I need a light novel or something else for periodic relief.  Really though, I only like to be reading one book at a time, so reading multiple is almost uncomfortable for me.
4. Current reads all go on my nightstand.  So do the 'on deck' reads.  And those deemed 'on deck' are changed out often, depending on my mood.  And I don't always read an on-deck book next.  So really, I'm not sure why I have this part of the system.


How about you?  Play along here.




2 comments:

  1. I'm usually reading at least half a dozen books. I like to switch among them.

    What do you think of Cutting? I have that in my library- read it for personal use, and used it for a psych paper in undergrad. Haven't looked at it in a while but I remember it being a little rough to read emotionally...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It only took a few of his cases for me to get over the shock factor. Brian read it in his Ministry to Adolescents class, and I figured it would be something beneficial for me to read, too. I think it was really hard for him to deal with because he hasn't really lived in trauma mode. Me, I can relate to the need to do something...anything...to make the pain stop and get some sense of control. I just used different methods. I've definitely been drawn to light-hearted, funny novels to balance out, and I haven't been able to read any Nouwin while reading Cutting either. Introspection of any sort is on hiatus :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics