12.05.2012

the real mother goose

There's a book that sits in a basket in Gabriel's room. It's a book that probably predates me - I remember having this book in my possession (or maybe it was my brother's?) from day one of childhood memories. It's an illustrated treasury of all the original nursery rhymes exactly as they were said for decades (centuries?) in England. The rhymes are sometimes a little wonky in today's American English, but to me that just adds to the authenticity.

I was paging through this book with Gabriel the other day, reading some of the shorter rhymes to him. He couldn't have cared less, but I found some real gems I just had to share with all of you.

Be warned: this is probably not the only installment of these crazy rhymes. 


THE OLD WOMAN UNDER A HILL

There was an old woman
Lived under a hill;
And if she's not gone,
She lives there still


OH, DEAR!

Dear, dear! what can the matter be?
Two old women got up in an apple-tree;
One came down, and the other stayed until Saturday.


BARBER

Barber, barber, shave a pig.
How many hairs will make a wig?
Four and twenty; that's enough.
Give the barber a pinch of snuff.


and perhaps my personal favorite thus far...


THE WINDS

Mister East gave a feast;
Mister North laid the cloth;
Mister West did his best;
Mister South burnt his mouth
Eating cold potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics