4.04.2011

attitude of gratitude

My family has a fairly open gift-return policy. We give things to the people we love with a hefty dose of 'I will not be offended if you don't like this' subtext. That's not to say that we give haphazardly and without much thought toward the recipient. If I had to guess, it might be a practice developed in response to (alleged) difficulties of finding something that I like. Ever been told you're hard to shop for? I have. (That's why I maintain an online wishlist year-round. Problem solved.)

This return policy, though, it's pretty nice. But I recently found something that could add a whole new dimension, making said policy even more effective.

Behold, the Gift Complaint Form.

It's cute, though at first glance the notion of complaining about a gift is off-putting. But it reminds me of the feedback forms at the college dining hall, so nostalgia mitigates the otherwise-unwelcome pang of complaining about gifts.

Plus, the serious and official format and middle-schooler language of an already fairly ridiculous concept makes it funny to me. It could be an interesting surprise response to a gag gift, too. Or it could be a gag itself! I'm giggling at the thought of my brother receiving one of these in the mail from me (in 'response' to a fictitious gift, maybe?).

My birthday isn't very far away, but I don't plan to be using this form in any serious manner. Still, it's kinda fun to look at, right? (Though if any kid of mine submitted one to me, things would not go well for said kid.)

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of feedback forms in the dining hall...I used to fill those out pretty often and got made fun of frequently by the 11:00 lunch group and others for my over-enthusiasm for the dining hall (couple this with my constant knowledge of what the special event for every day of the week was...)

    Anyway, they sometimes had smoothies. Well one day I had a particularly awesome raspberry smoothie and I wrote: "That raspberry smoothie took me back to my days of berry picking in rural NY." Some fellow UNCer wrote on my posted comment, "Go home yankee!" It hurt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics