2.26.2010

Company Girl Coffee 2.26.10


 
Click the logo to pay along!

Oh dear. Is it Friday already?

Then again, what am I talking about? I have been up for hours. Rory decided that today would be the perfect day to get up at 4:30. Four thirty. In the morning. Despite my best 'let's be sleeping' campaign, she proceeded undeterred. And in border collie language, undeterred is best translated as barking one's fool head off until one gets what one desires.

In this case, 'one' desired a romp or two outside. (At 4:30am. In the 20 degree icy weather.)

Have I mentioned that we live in an apartment?

So wait. It's Friday? Ok, fine. I believe you. Maybe I should make some tea. With honey. Honey makes everything better, am I right?


So what's been going on with you this week? I have nearly nothing to report. Much to no one's surprise, I have been sick again. Being sick is SO lame. I have a doctor appointment today to figure out why the heck I have been sick on and off with the same thing since approximately November 10 (the day we arrived in Colorado). If he tells me to get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids and run the humidifier, I might cry. Because I've been doing that, and I'm still getting sick.

I did manage to find my sewing box, which means I've been working on a couple of small projects that I should have finished...oh...last summer (Hello, Kim!). And I made some good headway on the quilt I started last fall (my first quilt!). For those of you who are curious, it's a 9-patch of batik prints. No sashing. Just chaos, colorful chaos. It was inspired by my love of batiks, a stack of 20 or so fat quarters of batik prints that I'd received as  gift (thanks again, Cathy!), and the chaos that was my life last fall. I probably won't get photos until it's finished and we can go outside. Anything else wouldn't do these prints justice!

Ok, now that my brain has turned on, I can get to the think-y part of what I wanted to share today.

Last week I posted about Lent and how I don't have a good understanding of it. Since then, I've found a few interesting reads online. I'll share those with you here, because a few folks expressed interest in learning more about Lent:

Katie at Kitchen Stewardship had a really interesting thought on Solemnity and Lent.

Ann Voskamp at A Holy Experience (if you are a Christian and you don't read this blog, I would highly recommend you DO) has had some interesting posts about Lent. See here, here and here. The last link contains a suggested reading list for Lent.

Elizabeth Esther wrote here on fasting and its significance, and why she practices Lent.

And our very own Coffee Girl, Cari, offered me this link on one man's thoughts on some "less traditional" Christians coming back to the practice of Lent - in short, I agree with him that it is a very good thing.

If you've come across any other blog posts about Lent or fasting or anything related, I would love it if you shared with me!


Now I'd like to ask something of you. Compliance is optional! But if you don't mind, would you say a prayer for my husband today? Part of his new job entails putting together a new, third service. The church staff, along that line, thought it would be good to hold a (new) Wednesday night service during Lent, to sort of 'test the water' so to speak. And Brian has been putting these services together. The first service, on Ash Wednesday, went well and was very well-received. This week's service didn't go as well. In short, he is feeling discouraged right now, and he is tired. I'm not complaining and neither is he. He's just feeling very discouraged and dealing with pressure and frustration right now.

No photos this week, because I'm cranky and I don't feel like messing with them :) BUT, to make it up to you, here's a video of the dogs - and Rory's enormous grown-up teeth in her tiny baby mouth!

9 comments:

  1. oh, the dog fights! such a familiar scene in my house. Although right now Annabelle is currently bugging the heck out of Tabor who is hissing at him. Sometimes they wrestle but I guess Tabes just isn't having it today.

    I'll be praying for your hubs. It's so easy to get discouraged in ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got on board with my friend over at clover lane, who is doing 40 bags in 40 days to simplify her life. It really made me think about how much stuff I own and how little I need. Here's her link: http://memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com/2010/02/40-bags-in-40-days-update.html

    I'll pray for your husband. I am married to a Pastor and I know how stressful the job can be. Especially if you are functioning in multiple roles.

    Have a great weekend!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, Thanks for stopping by my blog and I soooooo enjoyed yours too. I do hope that you will post a picture of your quilt when you get finished. I do love batik print! I will certainly be praying for your husband. I was a minister's daughter and I do know how discouraging and frustrating the ministry can be at times. But, God is always faithful and will bring us through to the other side and generally with increased faith. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, I will be praying for your husband. Although my husband and I are not pastors, we both used to work for a large church with a lot of services. It is rewarding and draining all at the same time. I'll be praying for your health too!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute doggies! My black lab and my old elglish sheepdog used to play fight like that all the time! I hope your husband doesn't get too discouraged...it's helpful to remember that we really only have to please God...not man. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a good weekend and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the links. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ican't wait to see your quilt! I would love to make one someday!

    I will remember your husband. I realize I am a little late coming to the table, but better late than never, right!

    Hope your week goes better and you begin feeling better soon!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your encouraging words on Friday. I did achieve progress, though not perfection, with the bookshelves. I plan to post the results later in the week.

    It will be fun to see the batick project you've been working on once the weather cooperates. Hopefully March will give us more hints of spring. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for the typo above. I am annoyed with myself for not catching it. Humbled again...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics