11.04.2008

voting conundrum

Part of why I've been mostly apathetic politically is that I can never find myself supporting anybody completely, so I don't know why I would vote for someone whose platform I didn't really like. at the same time, I know it's a right and a privilege to vote, and a duty of citizenship here. Patriotism compels me to engage, ideology holds me back.

Voting AGAINST the other guy. Agreeing that I shouldn't complain about who is elected when I didn't even bother to vote. Wanting the sticker - as a social marker of some sort. Recognizing the value my peers put in being politically active, and wanting to be one of the cool kids who vote. These are not great reasons to be voting, in my opinion, but they have at one time or other been the motivating force behind my casting a ballot.  I don't think I'll ever be well-educated citizen, because I don't think I could possibly grasp all of the ins and outs of what it takes to guide our country properly.  Even the EXPERTS don't really know.  So how could I possibly become adequately educated?

Perfectionism isn't limited to things you make or do.  Maya Angelou has been quoted as saying that 'we do the best we can with what we know, and when we know better, we do better.'  Is this approach good enough when it comes to politics?  Today is decision day, and I still don't know.

Click here for further reading on the topic.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same feelings. Especially when I got my ballot this morning and realized how many races I wasn't prepared to intelligently vote for. But I think it's good to feel connected to our government in some ways. The candidate I voted for in the Presidential race can't win, but I still feel like at least I participated!

    When I was talking to my parents over the weekend I realized that the only way there would ever be a candidate I agreed with completely is if I ran for office. And I don't even always agree with myself. So I think it's good to do the best I can and find someone I agree with on something. :)

    Hope you find a solution that makes you feel good. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics