8.31.2012

babyplay: object permanence

A little while ago, I started a Pinterest board for ideas of baby-appropriate learning activities to do with Gabriel. We've tried out a few of these, and so far there have been a couple of hits.

My personal favorite is this "object permanence" activity. Babies need to learn object permanence - the idea that something doesn't go away just because you can't see it anymore. Peek-a-boo is an object permanence game.

There's a slew of object permanence boxes available, online and in stores. My favorites are the Michael Olaf ones, because they're made of wood and are not gaudy nice to look at and made of materials that are completely safe. (See some here, here, and here. That second one is my favorite.)

I decided to make a "free" version of the beautiful Montessori object permanence toy for Gabriel out of stuff around the house, using ideas I'd already put on Pinterest. I took a shoe box I'd previously been using as a treasure basket and cut a hole in the bottom about twice the size of Gabriel's wooden blocks. I rolled out a towel (aka work mat) and showed him how to put blocks in the hole.

He picked on pretty quickly! That was fun. But I don't think he really "got" the concept. He liked dropping blocks through the hole and then picking up the box. Then he'd put the box down and drop more blocks. Who knows - maybe he's already got this object permanence thing down and was improvising! This is a game we'll be playing for a while, I imagine.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't even know there was such a thing as "object permanence boxes". We may have to try this in a month or two :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had the supplies and the mojo, I'd have some fun decorating the shoe box. I'm guessing yours would be world-endingly cute.

      Delete
  2. I'll bet he's already got it--he's a smart boy :-) He's probably like, "Oh, she's trying to teach me this object permanence thing I heard the other babies talking about. I want to make sure she has some fun so I'll play this game with her for a little while. She's so cute!" Haha, just kidding :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha maybe so! He did ditch the box and invent a new game of dropping a blog over the rung of a nearby stool. That was actually pretty interesting to observe!

      Delete
  3. I love these kinds of activities. I have a few pinned on my "Edumacation" board if you need any more ideas. You may already have them, but I figured I'd mention it just in case. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics