3.22.2009

another gushing book review of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I just finished reading my copy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

I am so charmed and delighted by this book.  For so many reasons.

The way the story is told might not be completely unique, but it's masterfully done.  The novel is laid out in a series of letters, primarily written to or by the main character, Juliet Ashton, in the months immediately following the end of WW2.  Juliet is sharp, witty, insightful, good-natured, and completely genuine and honest.  She also has a nice flair, with the perfect amount of British indignation.

This book is uplifting without being insipid, and you come to revel in the tales and quirks of pre- and post-war life on Guernsey as the society, and the island, recover from and deal with the effects of war and German occupation.  I laughed OUT LOUD at least four times when reading this book - it's that charming.

I keep coming back to the word 'genuine' when reflecting.  Right now I am giddy with mirth and my writer's hat can't or won't be found.  Read it.  Just read it.  You''ll cheer at the end, and wish there was more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!

Analytics